WC Field Hockey Shuts Out McDaniel

By Andrew Chirico
Sports Editor

The Shorewomen couldn’t have painted a better picture on Senior Day with a 6-0 shutout victory versus McDaniel College.
It was a day of production from all five seniors on the team, with all being able to contribute at least one point in the game. Senior Elizabeth Davis got WC on the board first coming off of a penalty stroke. The lead jumped to 2-0 as fellow senior Jen Tordella scored her first goal of the season, with the assist from senior Kerri Estep. A 2-0 lead into halftime fitted well with the exuberant and WC decorations around the stadium.
WC ended their final 35 minutes of the season with a bang, scoring four goals in the second half. The final two seniors to score were Allison Remenapp and Alli Dudley.  Remenapp was the first to score in the half, which was also assisted by Tordella. Dudley sealed the deal for WC when she scored off a penalty stoke with just under seven minutes to play.

Penalty Stroke
Senior Alli Dudley scores her final career goal coming off of a penalty stroke late in the second half over McDaniel.

Head Coach Rachel Boyle boasted about the senior class and their final performance at Roy Kirby Jr. Stadium. “I can’t say enough about balance and leadership of the senior class (beyond just the field of play) and the impact they’ve had on the program.”
She was glad to see every single senior involved in the scoring.
“It was suiting for each of them to contribute the way they did in our season finale and I know that they will walk away knowing the tremendous impact they have made on the team members returning, and the future of the program,” she said. “Their impact was far greater than any outcome of a game – they truly defined what it means to be part of a team and the selflessness required to be a part of something greater than yourself. I am so proud of these women, and thankful for their commitment, stick-to-itiveness and relentless love of the game and WC pride.”
Tordella relished her four seasons with the program.
“It’s been an incredible journey and I am so thankful to have been able to enjoy the game my whole life and four years here at Washington College. I will truly miss being on the turf and playing alongside with my teammates but I know that I have given it my all and will someday pick up my stick again,” she said. “I love the game and that will always stay with me. I’m just going to try and have fun on Saturday and give it my all one last time.”
Davis felt the same emotions as Tordella when it came to the season finale.
“Our team was great this year we all got along and had a wonderful season together. I couldn’t have asked for a better last season with a wonderful group of people,” she said. “Our record did not show how well we actually played against ranked teams in our conference and our out of conference schedule. It is the end of an important part of all of the seniors lives and we are happy to have been part of such a wonderful group.”
To end the season, WC finished with a 6-11 record with a 3-7 Centennial Conference record. Despite losing their first five games of the season, the Shorewomen started to pick up the pace in September winning their last two of three games.
October was a much better month, with WC going 4-5 in the final stretch of the season. Despite the five losses, the largest deficit was by just two goals on just two occasions.
Havrford Game:
WC started their week with a double overtime heatbreaker to Haverford College, losing 1-0.
Despite the Shorewomen finding 20 shots in the game, with 12 of them being on goal, they were unable to find the back of the net on the Fords goalkeeper. Even so, Haverford  held the advtange in shots in all periods of the game.
Heading into halftime, WC was outshot 6-4. At the end of regulation, the shot advantage for Haverford was 11-10.
In the first overtime period, both teams had three shots on goal but the game remained scoreless. It seemed as if WC would win the game when Dudley broke through the defense and found an open shot on goal, but the shot was saved by a Fords’ defender.
It was in the second overtime when Haverford scored the game winning goal, where they dribbled the ball into the goal keeper’s circle and deflected a ball off of a WC defender which ened up in the back of the net and ended the game.
Tordella feels the defense played up to their standards that they have longed for. “I feel as though our defense did a great job during this game. They were very strong in the backfield and really kept up the pressure against Haverford,” said Tordella.