Shorewomen push through the new year

By Isabella Sansanelli

Elm Staff Writer

The Washington College women’s basketball team competed in a total of four games over the winter break, three of which were Centennial Conference matches and all of which resulted in losses.

The first match was against out–of–Conference opponent Delaware Valley University and suffered a loss of 67-57 on Saturday, Jan. 5.

Junior Cassidy Quattro scored a game high in points, scoring 12 for the Shorewomen. Junior Taylor Samuels led the team in rebounds with seven and junior Bridget McLaughlin lead the team in assists at four.

The Shorewomen finished the first quarter with a 19-11 lead, but couldn’t keep the upper hand as the Delaware Valley Aggies outscored them in every other quarter finishing with a 10–point deficit by the end of the match.

The second match the Shorewomen competed in over the winter break was against Conference opponent Franklin and Marshall college on Tuesday, Jan. 8.

The Shorewomen came out with another strong start, leading 13-8 in the first quarter.  However, they soon fell to a 10-2 run by the Diplomats, which gave them the upper hand for the remainder of the match.

Junior captain and guard Caitlyn Clark scored the game–high in points for this match.

“Although we weren’t able to come out on top this match, I am confident that we will be able to come back within the next few games this season and play harder as a team,” she said.

The Shorewomen faced their second Conference opponent of the winter break on Thursday, Jan. 10 when they faced the Gettysburg Bullets.

Senior Emily Thieman downed a free throw in the last moments of the first quarter, putting the Shorewomen in a slight lead of 15-14 before the ending of the first quarter.

At the start of the second quarter, the Bullets maintained steady possession for the duration of the 15 minutes, only for the Bullets to outscore the Shorewomen in each quarter for the remainder of the match to end the game with 70-52 loss.

The last game the Shorewomen competed in over winter break took place on Saturday, Jan. 12 when they faced off against the Dickinson Red Devils.

Dickinson took immediate control of the game, scoring 10 out of the first 12 points and ended the first quarter by an already large margin of six points.

The Shorewomen then worked hard to outscore the Red Devils in the next two quarters, ending the third quarter with a lead of 41-35.

The Red Devils finished off the game outscoring the Shorewomen by seven points and winning the match 57-53.  McLaughlin scored the game–high in points with 13.

Next up for the Shorewomen will be another Conference opponent as they face the Fords on Tuesday, Jan. 22, away at Haverford College.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *