Men’s basketball makes post-season play

The Shoremen defy all odds as they defeat Dickinson College and barely scrape their way to a post-season

By Chrissy Segrest   

Elm Staff Writer 

The Shoremen did the improbable. In order to go to Centennial Conference Playoffs, the Shoremen basketball team had to win both of their away games. On Wednesday, Feb. 19, Washington College beat McDaniel College and on Saturday, Feb. 22, they beat Dickinson College.

“It’s an incredible feeling to be playoff bound.” said junior Cole Storm. “We all worked so hard all season and we had the goal in mind to return back to playoffs. We are a tough, tough team that nobody wants to see in playoffs. We are tight knit, and we have the tools and belief [in ourselves] to win the conference.”  

The game against the Green Terror was a constant up and down game of who was taking the lead. In the first half, MC had a 19-13 lead, but WC would go on a 9-0 run to elevate the score to 22-19. This was all started on a layup from freshman Patrick Devitt. Then, the Terror would go on to score the next six points with 6:33 left in the half. 

Going into the locker room, MC would keep the lead, but not the momentum. Sophomore Tray Wright found the ball after a missed shot and would run the ball to the opposite court for a time expiring layup. 

Post meeting with Coach Goodman in the locker room, MC would score nine of the first 11 points in the first 3:07 of the second half, but the Shoremen would rally back by banking the next seven points, after senior Austin Allen had a jump ball. With only 4:09 remaining, the Green Terror still lead 64-57, and would slowly add another four points with only 2:25 left. 

With 43.2 seconds left in the contest, WC took a timeout, only trailing by three at 68-65. The Shoremen played extremely tight defense, forcing MC to toss the ball out of bounds. With only 18.5 seconds left on the clock, Wright tried to grab a three pointer, but missed. From here, junior Derrick Carter grabbed the ball from him and took a three-point shot himself, with only 0.8 seconds left, and also missed. Luckily, he was fouled by the defense while shooting, and was awarded three free throws. 

Going into overtime, the Shoremen had control of the ball the entire time. They would go on a six-point run starting with free throws from senior Dallas Marshall, a jumper from senior Alec Lewis, and a layup from Wright. The Shoremen would go on to win 82-75.

“We’re back! What it do, baby!” said junior Logan Bunch.

The game started with the Red Devils leading 7-6 in the first three minutes, but WC would go on a nine-point run to take the lead at 15-7 with 12:01 left in the first half. With 4:30 left in the half, DC started to lead again, but Marshall stole the ball and managed a basket for a three to retake the lead at 22-14. At halftime, WC lead 30-21. 

Bunch was able to score back-to-back baskets with 15:14 left in the second half. With 8 minutes left in the half, the Red Devils would go on a 10-0 run to even the score at 50-all, before Marshall grabbed a layup. 

With less than two minutes remaining, Wright made a layup and Lewis bucketed a pair of free throws, to end the game at 59-57. 

“It feels absolutely amazing” said Allen. “Knowing all the hard work we put in in the weight room in the fall, all the long practices and workouts leading up to this moment. I’m happy for all of our guys, because we have all faced a lot of adversity. We never stopped battling.” 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *