By Lexi Meola
Elm Staff Writer
While many students have returned to dorms on Washington College’s campus, the ongoing current winter weather and the COVID-19 pandemic have prevented many from trekking across campus to the dining hall for a bite to eat.
However, there are some easy in-dorm dishes students can make in under 10 minutes with a microwave, a mug, and a few ingredients on those days where the dining hall just feels too far.
Any meal of the day can be made like French toast, non-Kraft macaroni and cheese, and chocolate cake.
For breakfast, try this two-minute French Toast in a Mug from Pretty Prudent. (Serves 1, Total Time: 7 min)
– 1 or 2 slices of bread cubed, enough to fill your cup to overflowing a bit
– 1 tablespoon of butter
– 1 egg
– 3 tablespoons of milk
– Dash of cinnamon
– Dash of vanilla extract (optional)
1. Cube bread.
2. Melt butter in your mug for a few seconds and move it around h to coat the bottom.
3. Add bread to the mug.
4. In a separate cup, combine the egg, milk, cinnamon, and vanilla. Stir.
5. Pour the liquid over the bread. Smoosh it a little with a fork to allow the liquid to soak into the bread.
6. Microwave. Start with one minute, then add ten seconds at a time until the eggs are no longer liquified.
7. Add syrup if desired and enjoy.
For lunch or dinner try this Microwave Macaroni and Cheese in a Mug from Bigger Bolder Baking. (Serves 1, Total Time: 10 min)
– 1/3 cup of pasta
– ¾ cup water, cold
– 4 tablespoons milk
– ½ teaspoon cornstarch
– 4 tablespoons cheddar cheese, grated
– Salt and pepper
1. In a large microwavable mug or bowl add in the macaroni and the water. You need a large mug since the water will boil.
2. Microwave for roughly 3 ½ minutes. You want the pasta to be fully cooked.
3. Pour off the remaining water.
4. Stir in the milk, cornstarch, and shredded cheese and microwave for a final 60 seconds to create your sauce. Stir well, then season with salt and pepper.
Finally, for a sweet treat, try this Microwave Chocolate Lava Cake from Tasty. (Serves 1, Total Time: 7 min)
– ¼ cup flour
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– 2 tablespoons sugar
– 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
– 1/8 teaspoon salt
– 2 tablespoons milk
– 2 tablespoons oil
– 1 chocolate truffle candy
– 1 scoop of ice cream (optional)
– Powdered sugar for topping (optional)
1. In a bowl, add the flour, baking powder, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Mix well.
2. Then, add the oil and milk. Mix to a paste. Transfer this mix to a microwave friendly bowl and add a chocolate truffle in the middle and cover truffle with the mix.
3. Heat in the microwave for about 70 seconds and then top off with ice cream or dust with powdered sugar.
While they might sound simple, these recipes are valuable to have if you prefer being in the comfort and safety of your dorm room.
Featured Photo caption: With just a mug, a microwave, and a few ingredients, you can make these quick and easy meals right from the comfort of your dorm room, including (from top to bottom) French toast, macaroni and cheese, and chocolate lava cake. Photo by Lexi Meola.