The baseball and softball teams face in-conference teams over the past two weeks

By Lauren Zedlar

Elm Staff Writer

On Saturday, March 27, the Washington College Shoremen baseball players faced the McDaniel Green Terrors in a double-header at Athey Field. 

Senior Jack Kingman was batted in for Shoremen’s first run after an RBI. In the second inning, senior captain Dylan Nepert and junior Ben Ruvo hit homeruns increasing the Shoremen’s lead to 4–0. 

By the top of the seventh, the Shoremen had scored an additional five times and scored their final runs after a homerun by junior captain Ryan Colbert. The Green Terror finally got on the board, after a two-run homerun, making the final score 11–2, Shoremen. 

Senior captain Mike Smith pitched six shutout innings to contribute to the win for WC.

Later that evening, the Shoremen faced the Green Terrors again and after three innings, the score stood at 7–1, Shoremen. 

The seventh inning finished with the score standing at 10–3 after the Green Terrors scored twice. The Green Terrors gained momentum scoring 5 times in the eighth inning and an additional 4 times in the ninth, gaining the lead for the first time in the game at 12–10. 

In the bottom of the ninth, the Shoremen rallied, scoring three runs to take the game with a walk-off double by junior Chris Baker. 

“It felt great to be able to play Conference games and to win both of them,” Smith said. “The walk-off win in game 2 was awesome, it was great for the team to rally together to get the win.” 

On Saturday, April 3, the Shoremen played the Ursinus Bears in a double-header at Athey Park. They split the two games with the Bears making the Shoremen’s Conference record now 5–1. 

During the first game, Baker hit a homerun and a triple that brought in four out of the five runs for the Shoremen. The fifth run brought in by Kingman off a sacrifice fly to secure their lead. 

The game finished as a win for the Shoremen at 5–3. 

Later that day, they faced the Bears again. The Bears won the game 7–1 after gaining all their runs in the fourth inning. 

The Shoremen’s run was scored after an RBI double by Kingman.

“Our team has worked hard all year and we are looking forward to finishing out the remainder of the season with hopes of winning a Conference title,” Ruvo said. “There is still work to be done, but I am really proud of how hard the team has worked so far. We have a really special group and it’s been an absolute pleasure to fight for a goal greater than ourselves.” 

The Shoremen’s next game is away on April 10 against the John Hopkins Blue Jays. 

On Saturday, March 27, the WC softball team faced the McDaniel Green Terrors in a Centennial Conference double-header. 

The Shorewomen won the first game 7–3. The Green Terrors held a lead of 1–0 until the bottom of the first when the Shorewomen scored five runs. Senior captain Grace Moery hit a three run homerun to help secure the lead. 

The final runs were scored after throwing errors by the Green Terrors. 

The second game of the double-header ended with 5–4 win for the Green Terrors. They gained the lead in the third inning, which was kept for the rest of the game. 

The Shorewomen cut the lead down throughout the rest of the game with home runs by Moery and junior Megan Robbins. 

“This past weekend went well overall. We had been working on some skills over the past few weeks and our work showed in these games,” junior Alyssa Vieira said. “Even though we didn’t win both games, I’m super proud of our team because we fought until the end and never gave up.” 

On Saturday, April 3, the Shorewoman had another double-header against the Ursinus Bears. They split the games with the Bears making their Conference record now 2–4. 

In the bottom of the second, the Shorewomen scored four runs, gaining the lead that they would keep for the rest of the game. The Bears scored two runs in the fourth inning, but were unable to score any more. 

The final score of the first game was 6–2, Shorewomen. 

In the evening game, the Bears gained a lead early and continued to score 11 runs over four innings. 

The Shorewoman scored their three runs in the fifth inning making the score 11–3. The game ended early due to the eight-run rule. 

“Yesterday during the first game I felt that we fought as a team and never let up,” Robbins said. “I think moving forward, as a team, we need to find the same intensity from the first game and carry it to the second game to allow us to be even more successful.”

Featured Photo caption: Senior captain Mike Smith pitches the ball. Photo by Mark Cooley. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *