WC Athletics history: Who is The Athey Field named after and why?

By Jensyn Hartzell
Sports Editor

The men’s baseball team has played at Athey Park for many years. The park is named after former Shoreman, WC Hall of Famer, Coach, and Athletic Director at Washington College Edward Athey ’47.

According to the WC Alumni News, Athey transferred to WC in the fall of 1942 from Frostburg College. Athey played basketball, soccer, and most notably baseball at the College.

After taking a year off from college due to military service,

Athey returned to WC for his senior year to finish his degree and continue playing sports.

According to the WC Athletics webpage, Athey also became the quarterback of the former WC football team.

Athey was a part of the 1942-43 basketball team that won the National Collegiate Athletics Association Division III Championship Tournament, according to the WC Athletics website.

After graduating, according to the WC Alumni News, he acquired his master’s degree in teaching at Columbia University, but returned to Chestertown to begin coaching.

Athey began coaching at the College in 1948. He was head coach of several WC teams, including football, basketball, soccer, and the track program, according to the WC Athletics website.

According to the WC Alumni News, after one year of coaching, Athey was appointed as the WC Head Athletic Director. This job entails overseeing all athletics at the College and relationships with other colleges.

Athey remained as the Head Athletic Director for 38 years until he retired in 1987, according to The Baltimore Sun.

It was not until Oct. 15, 1982 that Athey was inducted into the WC Hall of Fame, according to the WC Athletics website. He is described to be a talented coach, sports enthusiast, and family man in his Hall of Fame biography on the WC Athletics website.

The Baltimore Sun quoted him at his departure from the College in 1987 saying that “[he] owes more to WC than WC owes [him].”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.