Lacrosse teams bested in tight home-opener games

By Jordan Fairchild
Elm Staff Writer

On Wednesday, March 2, the Washington College women’s lacrosse team hosted the York College of Pennsylvania Spartans on the Kibler Field. This was not a Centennial Conference match.

In the first 40 seconds of the matchup, the Spartans scored two goals. Junior Ellie Morrall scored an unassisted goal for the Shorewomen with 6:44 left on the clock in the first quarter, cutting the Spartans’ lead in half.

The Spartans scored again, bringing their lead to two points again.

Early in the second quarter, freshman Tobin Chambers scored her first career goal. Less than a minute later, a goal from sophomore Abby Laubach tied the game at 3–3. The Spartans responded with another goal, stealing the advantage back.

At the half, the Shorewomen trailed 6–3 behind the Spartans.

Morrall scored another unassisted goal, which brought the deficit within two points with 12 minutes left in the third quarter.

The Spartans answered with a three-goal run that pushed them ahead 9–4, but sophomore Ashley Devlin broke the run for the Shorewomen with an unassisted goal in the final seconds of the quarter.

The Shorewomen opened the fourth quarter with two goals: the first by sophomore Morgan Sutherland, assisted by Morrall, and the second by Laubach, unassisted. Yet the Spartans closed the game with a 6–0 scoring run.

The final score was 15–7, a loss for the Shorewomen.

Junior goalkeeper Sydney Wingate had a career-high and game-high 14 saves during the competition. Morrall and Laubach came away with two goals each as the team-high. Morrall also won seven draws during the game.

The Shorewomen returned to Kibler Field on Saturday, March 5, to host the Salisbury University Sea Gulls.

The Shorewomen were unable to get on the board in the first quarter, but two goals were scored by the Sea Gulls, which secured them a 2–0 lead entering the second quarter.

With 8:44 left in the second quarter, senior Colleen Keefe scored a goal assisted by Laubach, but the Sea Gulls responded with two more goals, which capped the score at 4–1 at halftime.

During the third quarter, Keefe scored two unassisted goals and Morrall scored an unassisted goal. The Shorewomen trailed behind the Sea Gulls 7–4 going into the fourth quarter.

The first goal of the fourth quarter was scored by Devlin, unassisted. The Sea Gulls answered with a goal, which put the score at 8–5, Sea Gulls, with just under five minutes left in the competition.

With 4:06 left on the clock, Sutherland tallied an unassisted goal for the Shorewomen, which cut the Sea Gulls’ lead to two points. Neither team scored for the remainder of the match, leaving the final score at 8–6, a loss for the Shorewomen.

Keefe had the team-high of three goals during the game. Laubach racked up five draw controls and one assist. Wingate had a game-best 12 saves and was also named the Goose Nation TV Shorewoman Player of the Game.

“Our team goals consist of staying at number three or better in our Conference to make it to the Centennial Championships,” Devlin said. “With the season just starting, we have a long road ahead, but I am so excited to see where our hard work will take us in the Conference.”

The Shorewomen are now 1–2 in their overall record. They will travel to Glassboro, N.J. to face the Rowan University Owls for a non-Conference game on March 9.

The WC men’s lacrosse team played on the Kibler Field on Saturday, March 5, hosting the Stockton University Ospreys.

This was the Shoremen’s home-opener with first-year Head Coach John Nostrant ’86. Coach Nostrant is a Hall of Famer at the College for his career on the lacrosse team.

“It is very humbling and an honor to represent the College and all of the alums who have been a part of such a historic, successful program,” Coach Nostrant said. 

Junior Brady McFalls scored the first goal of the game, which put the Shoremen ahead 1–0.

The Ospreys responded with a goal, but the Shoremen fired back. Senior Ewan Temple assisted junior Luke Brennan to tally a goal, and freshman Cory Morgan scored as well.

After an Osprey goal, the Shoremen earned two more goals. Morgan assisted sophomore Trevor Ivatts and sophomore Jack Theriault took a face-off win all the way to the goal. This sequence gave the Shoremen a 5–2 advantage.

Junior Kain Domenech ended a two-goal run by the Ospreys, allowing the Shoremen to lead, 6–4, going into halftime.

The Ospreys stole the lead in the third quarter with three consecutive goals, breaking a nine-minute scoring drought for both teams.

The Shoremen tied the game at 7–7 at the end of the third quarter.

In the last six minutes of the game, the Ospreys secured their lead and solidified a victory with a final score of 12–9.

Morgan and McFalls each had the team-high of two goals during the game. Senior goalkeeper Ryan Leahy had a career-high 20 saves during the competition.

“I love our senior leadership and feel like they are embracing the hard work and dedication that is needed to be successful on and off the field,” Coach Nostrant said. “I believe we are headed in the right direction, but it will take some time. Patience and empathy will be important.”

The Shoremen’s record now stands at 0–2 for the season. They will travel to face Randolph-Macon College on March 11 in Ashland, Va.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *