1. Administrative remarks were made by the President of the College Dr. Mike Sosulski. After his introduction to the Senate, Dr. Sosulski announced updates on personnel regarding six new leadership positions. Additional topics discussed included DEI updates, enrollment management, finding a permanent director of Sustainability, initiatives for ADA on-campus accessibility, and how the strategic plan incorporates international students. If you ever have questions or comments about the school, email President Sosulski with your questions or to make an appointment at any time. In about a week there will also be another office hour in either the Dining Hall or at Java with President Sosulski and Student Government Association President senior Kat DeSantis.
2. The Service Committee discussed logistics and involvement for an upcoming Period Party which will raise period product donations.
3. The motion to open discussion on allocating $342 to Writers’ Union was granted. This would go toward the Association of Writers & Writing Programs conference that they are attending. The original budget undershot the transportation costs, so this is to make up for that. It will also pay for transportation passes for transportation around the city that the conference is in.
4. Speaker nominations are happening. Senators nominate candidates for Speaker of the Senate and the election will happen next week at Senate. Process reminders, pursuant to fall bylaw changes: nominations are accepted from now until noon on Friday, March 4. Next Tuesday, March 9, we will read the nominees. They will accept or reject the nomination. Those who accept will answer some questions from the SGA Executive Board and Senate. Two minutes for each candidate per question. Nominees leave the room, the Senate votes via campus groups. Once the vote is verified, the new speaker will be announced.
5. Keep a look out for applications for the SGA Review Board — Financial Controller, Parliamentarian, Honor Board Chair — and Executive Board — Secretaries and Director of Communications. On Wednesday, March 9, Review Board and Executive Board Applications go live. On Wednesday, March 23 at noon, Review Board Applications are due. From Wednesday, March 23 to Friday, March 25, Review Board Interviews will take place. On Monday, March 28 at noon, Executive Board Applications are due.
6. Thank you to everyone who came out and met Chief Dixon. There was great student engagement for his visit, and we look forward to building the campus relationship with him.