10th Annual Student Employee of the Year Celebration

By Emma Russell
Student Life Editor

On Friday, April 22 at 2 p.m. in Hynson Lounge, Student Employment sponsored their 10th  annual employee of the year celebration.

Eight student workers were nominated, including sophomore Hannah Perkins, and seniors Madison Krivda, Erica Quinones, Fran Spargo, Juliana St. Clair, Betelihem Tadesse, Sydney Voelbel, and Alisha White.

According to Assistant Director for Campus Student Employment Darlene Ashley employees are nominated by their supervisors. Only one student can be nominated from each department.

Once a student is nominated, a committee reads over the student’s resumé and the supervisors’ comments and they “hash it all out” to narrow the list down, select nominees, and eventually vote on a winner.

The celebration was open to the Washington College community, and nominees were encouraged to invite their family and friends to snack on cakes and cookies while hearing about the accomplishments of the nominated employees.

“These eight students gave us a really hard time because they’re all so fabulous, they just do outstanding work,” Ashley said.

Each one of the nominees received a certificate as well as a gift bag containing gifts from the bookstore. The first, second, and third place winners also won glass trophies to celebrate their work.

The third-place winner was Quinones, who was nominated for their position as a peer writing consultant by Director of the Writing Center Dr. Rachel Rodriguez.

“[Quinones] has the gift of being able to see where change needs to happen and implementing that change with a mix of diligence and gentleness,” Dr. Rodriguez said.

According to Dr. Rodriguez, her conversations with Quinones prompted her to include tutor staff training to accommodate students with disabilities, as well as to add an option on the Writing Center appointment form that allows students to disclose their pronouns and learning needs before meeting with a tutor.

St. Clair was nominated by GIS Senior Project Manager Glen Sine and earned second place for her position working as a journeyman leader for the GIS program.

As a journeyman leader, St. Clair works on all assigned projects while also training and assisting other students.

“Each year when [St. Clair] would come back, we knew what we could count on. We knew she would be that extension of the staff more so than a student intern,” Sine said. “[GIS] is one of those high-pressure environments where we only have a specific amount of time and we knew that, when things got down to it we could count on [St. Clair].”

“I love all the GIS staff. I didn’t know anything about GIS when I first came to WC, but I decided to apply and they made learning and growing so easy and so much fun. It’s something I want to go into now when I graduate. It’s been really great,” St. Clair said.

First-place winner was Senior Resident Assistant Alisha White, who was nominated by her supervisor Assistant Director of Residential Life Devin Spinks.

As a Senior RA, not only does White supervise her own dorms and residents — Middle and West Hall — but she also observes four RAs living in Minta Martin Hall and is responsible for organizing programs, bi-weekly meetings, scheduling, and working closely with Spinks to prepare for the next semester.

White was also responsible for the creation of a check-out system that makes the process easier for both RAs and their residents to move out quickly and efficiently at the end of each semester.

“I work hard every day to make sure that I am completing my tasks and sometimes I forget how much I do,” White said. “I love being an RA, so it doesn’t feel like work, it just feels like I am helping those around me.”

White said that winning first place reminded her that all of her hard work on campus is noticed and appreciated, which, according to Ashley, is the exact reason this celebration is held at the end of the school year.

“We need our student workers to help us…here on campus, so we just want to recognize them and make sure that they know that they are greatly appreciated,” Ashley said.

Photo by Andy Strunk

Featured Photo Caption: Senior Alisha White won first place in the 10th Annual Student Employee of the Year Celebration for her work as a senior resident assistant. She was nominated by her supervisor, Assistant Director of Residential Life Devin Spinks.