Admissions welcomes Victoria Velton

By Noah Vargas

Elm Staff Writer

The Washington College community has a new addition to the Goose Nation this year.

Victoria Velton is the new Director of Events and Volunteers for Washington College.

Her position is essential to the admissions department, according to Director of Admissions Kelsey Miller ’10.

“Victoria’s position here in the admissions office is overseeing all of our daily visit programs, open houses, and student ambassadors program,” Miller said. “Her role is super important for our office because we love to showcase our beautiful campus to prospective students so hopefully they will decide to attend WC and make WC their home for the next four years.”

When it came to the hiring process, Miller had nothing but praise for Velton. “We loved the energy that she brought to the role,” Miller said. “She is from the Eastern Shore, so she loves and appreciates the area that WC is located, as well as having some great experience running a variety of different events at the YMCA in Easton.”

Velton was energetic when talking about her life and what led her to this position.

Velton grew up on Eastern Shore in Centreville, Md., where her parents currently live. She played Division II lacrosse for Lenoir-Rhyne University in Hickory, N.C.

“I loved it down south, and it was right outside of Asheville and Charlotte,” Velton said. “I lived there for a while, and then moved back home. Once I came back to the Eastern Shore, I knew I was going to be here for the long haul.”

When asked what Velton loves about WC, there was no hesitation. “It just feels like home in Chestertown,” she said. “Growing up here, and having graduated college, being thirty and back in Chestertown is a surreal dream. It doesn’t feel real but I’m so glad it is.”

Velton also said that her favorite aspect about Chestertown “is the community and the atmosphere as well as the old history and colonial vibes.”

Velton went through quite a process when deciding the next chapter of her life. “I had some time to do a job search, and I was really looking to find that next right fit,” she said. “I wanted to get involved with a school in general. At my previous job I did everything with events and planning, and managed a group of kids.”

According to Velton when this position arose, it was everything she “loved to do in one job: planning events, managing the George’s Generals, and here I am. Week three and I love it. I’ll be overseeing all the open houses for admissions, the summer conferences that go on, and overseeing all the generals for the college. I want this year to be the best year yet.”

Photo courtesy of Victoria Velton

Victoria Velton poses with Gus the Goose at the fall Open House.