Men’s Soccer’s War on the Shore did not disappoint

By Jack Poleto 

Sports Editor 

The men’s soccer season opener on Sept. 1 against the Salisbury Seagulls was a show of force from the Shoremen.

Spectators came out to show their support for the Shoremen. With an electric atmosphere, the team started off hot, keeping pressure on the Seagulls for the first half.

By the tenth minute mark, the ball had crossed the middle of Kibler Field three times thanks to the strong attack and midfield.

During the 12th minute, junior goalkeeper Anthony Pinto made his first save of the season as Salisbury’s front finally was able to pressure the Shoremen.

22 minutes into the game, sophomore midfielder Dominic Miller took a corner kick into a crowded goalie box which led to a header by senior midfielder Ben Strine that ricocheted off the left post of Salisbury’s goal.

The Shoremen went on to take a total of five shots on goal against the Seagulls in the first half while junior goalkeeper Anthony Pinto only had to save one shot from Salisbury.

Men’s soccer kept trying to get some momentum with their aggressive attack but went into the locker room empty-handed.

Following the half, Men’s soccer kept the pressure on with senior midfielder Harrison Malone taking a shot on goal, blocked by Salisbury’s goalie.

The Seagulls then took the ball downfield to the Shoremen’s goal and took a shot where Pinto recorded his second save of the game.

At the 51st minute, the team took the ball back to Salisbury’s goalie and ripped two shots at them. The first of which came from Strine that was blocked by Salisbury’s Ryan Socks and was sent out of bounds. The second shot on goal came after a corner kick from sophomore midfielder Dominic Miller that was rifled by Strine for his third shot.

In the remainder of regulation time various Shoremen took shots on goal, with attempts from Strine, senior midfielder Ben Horgan, and junior defender Max Greenfield.

Sept. 1’s game came to a close as Salisbury tried to rally together for a goal where the Seagulls took a corner kick that was shot over the head of Pinto in the 88th minute.

After 90 minutes of play, the war on the shore finished with the Salisbury Seagulls scoring zero points and the Shoremen also not scoring.

Throughout the game, the Seagulls were called for 21 total fouls while the Shoremen recorded 16 fouls. Both teams ended up with three saves each accompanied by 10 shots by Salisbury and 13 by Washington College.

Following the conclusion of the game, Eric Gwadz said while looking back on the team’s performance, that they had good individual performances, but the team’s chemistry will really come as they practice together more. Goalkeeper Anthony Pinto said, “I thought the team played well… we had our chances, but we just need to bury it and that will come with time.”

Photo courtesy by Grace Hazlehurst

Photo Caption: The Men’s Soccer Team huddling before the start of the game.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *